The Electric Energy Society of Australia (EESA) is committed to providing quality services to you and this policy outlines how we will handle your personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (‘Privacy Act’)
We have adopted the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Privacy Act). The APPs govern the way in which we collect, use, disclose, store, secure and dispose of your Personal Information.
A copy of the Australian Privacy Principles may be obtained from the website of The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.aoic.gov.au
What is Personal Information and why do we collect it?
The types of personal information that we or our authorised representatives and third parties may collect include:
· contact details, such as name, address, email, and telephone number.
· personal details and information about you, such as title, post-nominals, date of birth, gender, education, and qualifications.
· professional and employment background, including employment history, curriculum vitae, and referee reports.
· photographic identification
· member details, such as member ID and other membership information
· financial or banking details you provide to us, such as credit card details.
· any personal information collected or obtained by us in connection with any events, seminars, or conferences that we facilitate or participate in, such as the sessions you attended, any dietary preferences and your partner’s name.
· complaints or feedback you provide to us.
· the products and services that we provide to you, including any member resources and subscriptions.
· any surveys responses you complete, which are not completed on an anonymous basis; and
· details and reports of your communications or interactions with us.
This Personal Information can be obtained in many ways including interviews, correspondence, by telephone, by email, via our website www.eesa.org.au, from your website, from media and publications, from other publicly available sources, from cookies and from third parties. Please
We collect and use your Personal Information for the primary purpose of providing our services to you. We may also use your Personal Information for secondary purposes closely related to the primary purpose, in circumstances where you would reasonably expect such use or disclosure. You may unsubscribe from our mailing/marketing lists at any time by contacting us in writing.
When we collect Personal Information, we will, where appropriate and where possible, explain to you why we are collecting the information and how we plan to use it.
Sensitive information is defined in the Privacy Act to include information or opinion about such things as an individual's racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union or other professional bodies, a criminal record or health information.
Sensitive information will be used by us only:
• For the primary purpose for which it was obtained
• For a secondary purpose that is directly related to the primary purpose
• With your consent; or where required or authorised by law.
Where reasonable and practicable to do so, we will collect your Personal Information only from you. However, in some circumstances we may be provided with information by third parties. In such a case we will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the information provided to us by the third party.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be disclosed in a number of circumstances including the following:
• Third parties where you consent to the use or disclosure; and
• Where required or authorised by law.
Security of Personal Information
Your Personal Information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse and loss and from unauthorized access, modification, or disclosure.
When your Personal Information is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your Personal Information. However, most of the Personal Information is or will be stored in client files which will be kept by us for a minimum of 7 years.
Access to your Personal Information
You may access the Personal Information we hold about you and to update and/or correct it, subject to certain exceptions. If you wish to access your Personal Information, please contact us in writing.
EESA will not charge any fee for your access request, but we may charge an administrative fee for providing a copy of your Personal Information.
To protect your Personal Information, we may require identification from you before releasing the requested information.
Maintaining the Quality of your Personal Information
It is an important to us that your Personal Information is up to date. We will take reasonable steps to make sure that your Personal Information is accurate, complete, and up to date. If you find that the information we have is not up to date or is inaccurate, please advise us as soon as practicable so we can update our records and ensure we can continue to provide quality services to you.
This Policy may change from time to time and is available on our website.
03 8669 1809